May 10, 2011

Mother's Day & Teacher's gifts

Happy Mother's Day......a few days late!

I spent my day doing whatever I wanted. Browsed my favorite blogs, baked a cake, played with my boys,took a nap, made a trip to the store, cooked a yummy dinner and watched a movie with the hubs.

I'd say that's a pretty good day, especially since the little cuties were in great moods.

David gives me the sweetest surprises. I'm so loving the pink and yellow together.
Took a few pics of myself. Trying to capture the here and now.


The cake recipe I used was yummy!

Strawberry Buttercream Cake
So simple to put together.

1 box yellow cake mix
3.4 oz. vanilla instant pudding mix
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 c. water
3 eggs
Mix all ingredients together and pour into 2 greased (I also lined the bottom of the pans with parchment paper to keep it from sticking&greased the top of paper) 8" round cake pans.
Bake according to cake mix directions. I think I baked mine at 350 degrees for about 25 - 30 minutes.

Wash and chop fresh strawberries. Place in a bowl with enough sugar to sweeten.
 Refrigerate until ready to use.

The buttercream frosting recipe is the same one for the pineapple coconut cupcakes, here.

After cake has cooled completely, cut both cakes in half. Layer cakes by placing 1/2 the strawberries between the cut layers and a 1/4 of the frosting between the two cakes. Cover the entire cake with the rest of the frosting. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator. If serving from the refrigerator, place it on the counter about an hour before serving. This will allow the frosting to soften again. Enjoy!


................................................................................................................................................

So, we made it to the end of the school year. This week is the last speech therapy session before we break for summer. The boys will continue with therapy when school starts again but we'll have a nice vacation break. This means I'll be doing "school" with them all summer. I want to see improvement before the school years starts again. So, we're going to get messy over the next few months.

To thank their therapists and the teacher that have been working with them, I put together a couple little gifts for them. Just a little something!

For the speech therapists I bought a couple reusable insulated cold cups and filled them with Lindt chocolates and individual serving packets of Country Time Lemonade.

 I used some felt and scraps of fabric to make a cup cozy for each.
Don't those look darling now?
Love the pink and orange together.
A little hand written "thank you" note and they're ready to go.

For their teacher, I bought her a candle but it seemed like it was missing something. So, I added a couple fabric coasters (great for hot or cold cups) that I sewed together from more scraps of fabric.
The candle smells amazing btw!

Much cuter with the coasters than just the candle by itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment