February 12, 2011

Strawberry (Mock) Champagne Cupcakes

I have been on the hunt for yummy cake recipes the past few weeks. The twin's birthday is coming up and I'm planning to bake their cakes. Cupcakes are "in" right now so I thought I'd start my search there when I came across this recipe somewhere (sorry, can't remember where). Although I won't be making these for the boy's party (these are definitely "mommy" cupcakes) I did want to try the recipe. Major success! I brought them to a scrapbook MNI tonight, they were a big hit. I even received a text from the hubs (who was home with the boys) saying and I quote, "Those cupcakes were pimpin' ". Lol A man needs sweet sugary strawberry goodness too, so I left him a couple before taking the rest.

Since champagne isn't in my budget I opted to use Welches sparkling white grape juice in place of the real stuff. It did the trick.........perfection! These are the kind of little cakes that are so simple to put together but also get the "wow" factor. The "I've always wanted something like this to come from my kitchen" thoughts! lol At least that was my thought after taking a bite of one. Enjoy, bake and be merry!



Strawberry (Mock) Champagne Cupcakes

Cake:
1 box strawberry cake mix, I used Pillsbury
1 1/4 c. champagne or sparking white grape juice
1/3 c. vegetable oil
3 egg whites

In a large bowl mix together all cake ingredients with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Divide batter into lined muffin pan filling each about 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 17 to 22 minutes. Cool cakes on a wire rack. Before frosting, let cool for about 30 minutes.

Champagne Frosting
1/2 c. butter
4 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. champagne or sparking white grape juice
1 tsp. vanilla
3 to 4 drops of red food coloring
Sugar crystals
Optional: chopped strawberries

Mix with an electric mixer the butter, powdered sugar, champagne or juice, and vanilla. Add food coloring and mix until combined. Stir in chopped strawberries if desired.
Now, I used a large round decorator's tip to pipe the frosting on but you can most certainly use a knife.
Sprinkle with sugar crystals.
These don't have to be refrigerated but I found that after I frosted them they needed to firm up a little so I stuck them in there for a little chill time.

Make these for your next party and they're sure to be a hit. Happy Baking!


Linked up with the following:

                                                              
 
 

Tatertots and Jello

No comments:

Post a Comment