February 5, 2011

Valentine Chair Backpacks

The chair backpacks from PBkids have always been a favorite of mine. When I found out they didn't sell them anymore I was so disappointed, they were just too cute. So, I felt I had to come up with my own version of them.

 The ones I made are bigger than the ones shown from PB but I think I like having that extra room for the Valentine's Day goodies. The pattern I put together is quite simple really. There's the outside bag, the lining, straps with buttons, and the appliqued word and heart. I didn't take pictures for a tutorial but I will give you the measurements that I used to make this bag. Hopefully the pictures of the finished product with help give you a visual. Just remember to have fun & be creative with it!


I started with red flannel for the outside of the bag. Cut 3 pieces 13" x 11" (for the front, back, & top of flap); 2 pieces 13" x 4" for the sides; 1 piece 11" x 4" for the bottom.

I cut out the same sizes & quantity for the lining from red & white polka dot cotton material and a stabilizer. The latter will give the bag some form.  

For the straps, cut 2 pieces 18" x 2 1/4"

I used a 1/2" seam allowance while putting the bag together and a 1/4" seam allowance for the outer stitches that are more for decorative purposes.

The letters for the word MAIL were cut from white felt , the heart was cut from a scrap of fabric and both were sewn on using the applique stitch on my sewing machine.

Buttons on the bottom of the bag with holes for said buttons on the ends of the straps makes it easy to attach to the back of chairs.



Can't wait to hang these on the back of my little boy's chairs for heart day!
What projects do you have going on for Valentine's Day?



No comments:

Post a Comment