November 11, 2010

Gram's Caramel Apples

My Gramma used to make these every year, and when she would come to visit, we would beg her to make them with us. Which she would. That's just the way I remember her being, very giving of her time and her love. Especially to her grandchildren!
There was one time when she came to see us that I asked her to write down some of her recipes in her own handwriting.Those cards are my favorite ones. My Gramma could bake and cook for crowds of people and it wasn't just mass quantity it was delicious. I like to think I have that part of her as well. She was one of the most amazing women I've ever known!

One of the first and last pictures I have of me with Gramma.


So, here is her recipe and my ultimate fav when it comes to caramel apples. I know she would be more than happy to see me sharing it with all of you. Enjoy!


Caramel Apples

1 c. white sugar
1 c. light Karo syrup
1 can Eagle's Brand (sweetened condensed milk)

Stir together the sugar and syrup in a large saucepan over medium heat, until clear and bubbly.
Add Eagle's Brand, cook and stir until it reaches the softball stage. (When you can drop a piece in cold water and it keeps it's form.)
Place a wooden stick in each apple. Dip apples in caramel to coat. After dipping in caramel, immediately dip into a bowl of ice cold water. Set on wax paper to dry. Store uncovered at room temperature.


Remember the memories you make with the ones you love!

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't expecting the pictures! Yes, the tears were flowing!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete